The (fake) Quest To Eradicate AIDS with Mythical Mystical Indian roots

Swami Gulagulaananda said:
"When in a game, play..."

I have won several lotteries organised by Shell, Coca Cola and other companies. Each prize was no less than 500,000 GBP. And I have also been fortunate to share my surname with super rich heirless millionaires, facilitating unscrupulous lawyers to wire their enormous funds into my account so that I can send them their share for making it happen. Considering the number of lotteries I have won and number of inheritances in my name, I am richer than Bill Gates ten times over.

But alas, we are aware of how scams work. Some of us, at least. So I continue to be penniless as before.

Recently, I got an email - The brevity of which prompted me to reply, and then began an interesting conversation.
from: Robert Adair
to: r-adair@hotmail.co.ukdate: 17 October 2013 21:29subject: Your revert awaited
having a proposal to discuss with you
To which I replied, with equal conciseness...
Regarding what
And I got a reply to that...
from: Robert Adair
to: Nikhil Baliga
date: 18 October 2013 13:42subject: RE: Your revert awaited
I am Robert Adair from the United Kingdom.There is huge demand for Indian herbal roots in my company
presently. My Boss is desperate in need of the roots for Pharmaceutical productions even
willing to buy at a higher rate. He is ready to send a purchase officer to meet the seller in
India,to receive this product and pay instantly.
But due to my interest in the business,i don't wish to reveal the real seller's contact to my
boss. Hence,I am soliciting your help to stand as a middleman to do this business on my behalf
and the profit would be shared between us. Profit will be healthy in this deal.
For further detail about the business,kindly reply
Sincerely,Robert Adair
Healthy profits. Time to pretend to be a sucker... but a cautious one. We don't want to set off any alarm bells. So I replied...
Sure, it sounds interesting. It'd be great if you can provide more information.
So he sent me his business proposal. It might be a little long to read, but I think you should quickly go through it. Just for kicks... (There's a tl;dr at the end of the mail for the lazy ones)
PURCHASE OF ANTI HIV/AIDS RAW MATERIAL EDUIN SALVE  ROOTSAttn. Sir,I am a foreign purchasing Manager/Pharmacist to the above mentioned company; a subsidiary of Shire Pharmaceutical Limited UK.I got your contact from the internationalbusiness directory out of desperate search for a reliable and abusiness minded person in your country for a mutual and urgentbusiness transaction requiring maximum confidentiality and trust,hence I am contacting you. I and my Regional director use to visit your country India for the purchase of the above mentioned HIV EDUIN SALVE ROOTS . The botanical name of this Raw Material is  Eduin Salve Herbal Roots This Eduin Salve Herbal Roots raw materials used for the preparation/manufacturing of ANTI HIV/AIDS drugs in the United Kingdom . I wish to seek your cooperation in having an alliance with you in the outright purchase of these raw materials from the original seller in your country, and resell to our company. This seeds is sold at the rate of ($1,800.00) per packet. The seller of this seeds is a citizen of your country India .We have come to purchase these raw materials from him in several occasions. I will want you to be the middle man between the original seller of this products and my company. Where by you will purchase these products from the original seller at the rate of ($1,800.00) per a packet and resell to our company at the rate of ($3,150.00) as against($2,400.00) per a packet which we normally buy the products from the former middle man who has never kept to our sharing agreement. The over inflated profit that is added to it will be shared by both of us. That’s you will have 60% while 40% will be for me. This over inflated profit shall be calculated on the basis of the number of packets that you are able to supply us for purchase in any of our trip to India . I shall give to you my bank account details where you will send in my entitlement.Please NOTE that my regional director will not make any payment to you without seeing the products with you due to past experience. That’s you are going to make the out right purchase of these products from the original seller and resell to us when we must have finish discussion with you on our arrival in India. The payment is usually done on Bank to Bank transaction or cash in hand. That’s after seeing the number of packets supplied by you and the total amount calculated; we shall immediately proceed with you to our nearest correspondent Bankers trust here in India for instant payment into your account. We will be able to make any payment to the tone of the number of packets supplied to us on our arrival. I shall give to you the direct contact of the original seller for you to make enquiries about these raw materials after you must have given me your consent in this proposal. I will also give you details on how to contact my company officially over these raw materials and the new price of $3,150.00 per a packet after you must have concluded with the original seller. Because my company also serves as a distributing company of this products to some other companies in United Kingdom . All other information shall be given to you when you must have agreed to handle this proposal with utmost confidentialityFor your fullest cooperation, hoping to hear from you in a soonest possible time.Contact Number +448719746257   Regards,Mr Robert Adair
tl;dr: Guy says there're some roots that he wants me to purchase for $1800 and sell it at $3150. The profit is divided between me and him in 60:40 ratio. I have to pay upfront. His boss is clever to not pay upfront.

I am a poor average person from a third world developing country. Can you expect me to have $1800? So I ventured...
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the explanation. The deal certainly looks exciting and I am interested to pursue this offer.

However, $1800 is a lot in Indian Rupees and I don't have that much liquid cash to purchase the packets. I understand from your mail that your regional manager is not willing to pay the money upfront. However, since you and I are going to be business partners, I'd like you to transfer the money to my account. In return of the trust that you display, I am willing to share 50% of my profit, thereby giving you 70% of the total money. So rather than a 60-40 arrangement, it becomes a 30-70 arrangement.

I am really looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and Regards,Nikhil Baliga
I tried to be smart, huh? I wanted to see how he would evade it. But the tenacious little bugger played the sick card (What's next, dog ate my homework?) He replied thus, and in all caps:
THANKS FOR YOUR RESPOND I HAVE TO ENLIGHTEN YOU MORE ABOUT THIS BUSINESS TRANSACTION, THIS BUSINESS IS BUYING AND SELLING BUSINESS. YOU ARE TO BUY FROM THE INDIA DEALER AND RE-SELL TO THE COMPANY. SHIRE PHARMACEUTICAL LIMITED UK . THE COMPANY WILL BE SENDING THEIR SALES REPRESENTATIVE TO INDIA TO PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT,MIND YOU I HAVE A PARTNER IN INDIA BEFORE HIS NAME IS MR. PRADEEP GUPTA , HE BETRAYED ME IN THE BUSINESS AFTER SOME TRANSACTION, THAT IS WHY I REALLY NEED A GENUINE AND RELIABLE PERSON. MR. PRADEEP GUPTA , AFTER THE TRANSACTION HE DID NOT SEND MY OWN PERCENTAGE TO ME ACCORDING TO OUR ARRANGEMENT. NOW THE COMPANY HAS TOLD ME TO SUPPLY THE SAME PRODUCT AGAIN, I NEED SOMEONE WHO IS TRUTH WORTHY SO IF YOU KNOW YOU CAN HANDLE THIS TRANSACTION FOR ME WITHOUT ANY DOUBLE MIND I WE BE GLAD TO RECEIVE YOU AS A PARTNER. (2) I AM BRINGING THIS TO YOUR KNOWLEDGE THAT I DON'T WANT THE COMPANY TO KNOW THE DEALER OF THIS PRODUCT TO ENABLE US REMAIN AS THE SUPPLIER OF THE MATERIAL. BECAUSE IF THEY KNOW THE DEALER OF THE PRODUCT THEY WILL BEING GOING DIRECTLY TO THE DEALER TO BUY THE PRODUCT. I SUPPOSE TO COME DOWN TO INDIA BY MYSELF TO BUY THE PRODUCT BUT BECAUSE OF THE ACCIDENT THAT KEEP ME IN THE HOSPITAL BED. THIS THE REASON WHY I NEED SOMEONE IN INDIA WHO CAN HANDLE IT FOR ME. (3)AND ALSO YOU DO NOT NEED ANY LICENSE TO DEAL ON THIS RAW MATERIAL.BECAUSE A LOT OF ORGANIZATIONS ARE LOOKING FOR GOOD WAYS OF ERADICATING THE EPIDEMIC OUT OF THE GLOBE WORLD BECAUSE OF ITS DEADLY NATURE. SO PEOPLE THAT DEAL ON THIS MATERIAL ARE RESPECTED PEOPLE IN THE HEALTH WORLD.THAT MEANS THE BUSINESS DID NOT REQUIRE LICENSE BECAUSE THE COMPANY SALES REPRESENTATIVE IS COMING TO INDIA TO BUY IT FROM YOU. AND THEY ARE COMING WITH CASH MONEY. YOUR COMMISSION SINCE YOU ARE THE EXECUTOR YOU WILL TAKE 60% FROM THE PROFIT AND I THAT INTRODUCE YOU TO THE BUSINESS WILL TAKE 40%.SO ACCORDING TO YOUR QUERRY IN YOUR PREVIOUS MAIL, ONE PACKET CONTAINS 10SATCHETS AND ONE SATCHET IS 5GRAM SO 1PACKET IS 50GRAMS SO PLEASE DO LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN HANDLE IT. TO ENABLE ME TO GIVE YOU THE INDIA DEALER CONTACT. PLEASE YOU ARE TO PROVIDE ME YOUR DETAILS. FULL NAME:PARTNER NAME IF ANY. NACOMPANY NAME:HOUSE ADDRESS:A COPY OF YOUR I.D CARD OR DRIVING LICENSE.CONTACT NUMBERREGARD.ROBERT ADAIR

Somehow the mail made me scroll to the bottom looking for "I agree with terms of license" button. So I have now decided  to reward his efforts. I played the fool card thus...
Hi Robert, 
   Thanks for the explanation. I understand from your mail that you are looking for a trustworthy and reliable business associate. I can assure you that I will not betray you like Pradeep Gupta. Please send me the details of the supplier from whom I have to purchase the boxes and number of boxes that you would like me to purchase. Once I have purchased the boxes, I will get in touch with you. Can I use my credit card to make the purchases? 
Thanks and Regards,
Nikhil Baliga
The reply came as expected.
SO PLEASE DO LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN HANDLE IT. TO ENABLE ME TO GIVE YOU THE INDIA DEALER CONTACT. PLEASE YOU ARE TO PROVIDE ME YOUR DETAILS.
FULL NAME: 
PARTNER NAME IF ANY. NA 
COMPANY NAME: 
HOUSE ADDRESS: 
A COPY OF YOUR I.D CARD OR DRIVING LICENSE. 
CONTACT NUMBER 
REGARD ROBERT ADAIR
What do I do next? Any suggestions? I was thinking of creating a fake profile and sending all this fake information to him with a well photoshopped fake license or something.

Some salient points to observe:
  • The plant that he mentions is not the scientific name of anything. Google searches resulted in nothing relevant. In fact, it sounds like a Marathi surname :P
  • For a Brit, the quality of his English is dropping like crazy with every other mail.
  • Replies look like standard templates. There is a disconnect between my mails and his replies
  • Identity thief, drug dealer or plain scamster?
  • And no, I am not jobless. I am just trying to get some kicks and also understand the modus operandi. But it's mostly for the kicks

Comments

broken life said…
I too received the same mail few months back. My conversations with him were almost in the same pattern as yours. This happened in July. My last conversation was when he asked me to share ID proof, which i promptly rejected. Instead I told him to share his ID since he was the one who was so keen to make this deal happen.
And I did receive his reply with his ID proof and his picture.
I still wanted to drag this, but I stopped here. That's all. :)
broken life said…
I too received the same mail few months back. My conversations with him were almost in the same pattern as yours. This happened in July. My last conversation was when he asked me to share ID proof, which i promptly rejected. Instead I told him to share his ID since he was the one who was so keen to make this deal happen.
And I did receive his reply with his ID proof and his picture.
I still wanted to drag this, but I stopped here. That's all. :)
These guys are experts at scamming the scammers: http://www.419eater.com/

They usually go after the Nigerian "419 Scam", and they have managed to get people to send all kinds of pictures, emails, etc. Chances are, this Robert Adair fellow has already been scammed by these guys before.
Abhishek said…
Hmmm thanks for the blog...... I got the mail today which went till his proposal mail after me showing my interest to the deal....lol

So stoppin it now

I usually ignore such mails, but thought of just finding out what they want....i dont understand why such mails doesnt go to scam folder....
Unknown said…
Hi guys i lost huge some of money if any one has been given the local suppliers number if you could provide me the same that would be great help on email id hemkum06@gmail.com
Need to catch these bastards.. Any ideas how to catch them?

Hemanth
Unknown said…
Hi,
I also received the same mail and he has sent me the proposal today.. Just thought I will google some info about the product and found this blog. I'm happy I didn't go ant further on the mails... I'll stop here.
Unknown said…
Hi,
I'm happy I found this blog... I am also conversing with this person for the past few days and he has send me his proposal. I tried to find the root, but no such thing.
Thanks to you that i came to know he is a fake.
Unknown said…
I am also getting such mails and i almost believe on that Robert Adair.

This bog really helped to identify as spam. As per one of the comment from Hemant, I am posting the phone. no. of those Indian supplier of that Eduin Slave Roots and below are the details:
name-Parmar Herbals
contact person- Aparna Parmar
email id: parmar.herbs@gmail.com
mob:+919769909828

What I think is these Indian suppliers are doing such activity because ultimately indian supplier roots will be sold and we middle man will get empty hands. my assumption is THis Robert adair is nothing but Indian suppiers.

Thanks Nikhil for posting this. I will also try to expose this scam.
Michael said…
Last month or so I got a similar email, this time asking me to get some chemical from India, and the same story about investing and sharing profits. This guys/guys are Africans who keep sending scam proposals to everyone. Either someone from London, who wants to donate some millions of Pounds to me, or from some bank official who wants to transfer money to me ans share the profits etc etc. Message is plain and simple - Just do your job or business and don't get too ambitious and fall prey to these scams.
Unknown said…
hey guys , i got the same mail from Robert Adair stating same proposal for me to get these roots. this looks fake as he is been sending the same reply's as templates. i am looking forward in exposing this person ... help me out in this as i am half way down..
Unknown said…
hey guys , i got the same mail for the proposal for business of these HIV roots . he is been sending same reply's as templates. i am half way down through this . please help me in exposing this person.
Unknown said…
Aha....and here I thought I was the chosen one!!!! fantastic to know that there many of us chosen few :)) same case scenario...google came acropper...but tumbled into this blog which rudely brought me to my usually dependable senses ... I was already cruising around the world with my profits from this root!!!!!!....good luck to the ones who have lost their money to this scam...CATCH THEM/HIM/HER...sonia adappa
Unknown said…
I have a plan to catch these basterds and if you have lost your money behind them you can contact me on my email id bookbored@gmail.com. I have similar problem and really want to have revenge.
Shiv Sharma said…
Hi
I also got such type of mail. But i search his name on google i found this blog & report. So thanks you all that u posted in abuse against it. :)
krishnan said…
hmmm.. got the same email :)
prasad joshi said…
I also got the same mail which i continued up to one mr.parmar hurbels.... one lakh rs. for each 50gram pack etc.
I also got one mail for 7 star hotel opening in india and handle huge cash from one diamond hotels from uk...
Unknown said…
Got The same mail yesterday, Thanks For The Blog, I was Thinking To Contact Cyber Cell as i have got some number from his side written like this
For your fullest cooperation, hoping to hear from you in a soonest possible time.
Contact Number +448719746257
Regards,
Mr Robert Adair
Unknown said…
Got the same mail.
n I thought I was the chosen one...now i wud like to report it to cyber cell if any one of you can help me in doing so please contact me
gaurav31190@gmail.com
Unknown said…
Hello Robert,

Wishing you the very best for your business activity...

Me and Mr. Kannan had good time interacting with you. And we are not sacramental lambs as you think of us.

http://blog.nikhilbaliga.com/2013/10/the-fake-quest-to-eradicate-aids-with.html

Wishes,
JB.

PS: Please remember that the INDIAN gov has a cyber crime cell. And as we contacted them, we came to know that you are already under their surveillance. Better behave yourself updating your netiquettes. All the best.




On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Robert Adair wrote:
PURCHASE OF ANTI HIV/AIDS RAW MATERIAL VULGAR SALVE ROOTS
Attn. Sir,
I am a foreign purchasing Manager/Pharmacist to the above mentioned company; a subsi
praful rapariya said…
gus i had similar conversation with this guy name laurence graff but mistakenly i have shared my no with him would this be problem .....are this people drug dealer or something
plz help
hey guys , i got the same mail from Laurence Graff stating same proposal for me to get these roots.
i am looking forward in exposing this person ...
Unknown said…
Me too but by Laurence Graff.
But i already knew that he is a bastard and i asked him to get some other email id and fool them not me.
By the away he shared this number. May be it would be helpful for someone.
For your fullest cooperation, hoping to hear from you in a soonest possible time.
Contact Number +447010548057
Unknown said…
Me to but this time he was Laurence Graff.
I aleady knew that he was a bastard.
By the way he shared some info regarding himself, it might be helpful for someone.
For your fullest cooperation, hoping to hear from you in a soonest possible time.
Contact Number +447010548057
narnia said…
Hey I want to expose this A***ole lots of people lost millions of rupees including me..any help.. in getting this done will be much appreciated.. @Priya Hydrographics.. can you keep conversing with him in a manner that you would be interested in the proposal and get the Indian supplier number?
@Jayabalan Joseph.. did you contact the crime branch?
Unknown said…
i am also a victim of this business proposal and if we all get together we can do good for society so mail your contact no and give mail ID my no is 09030128881 and mail shanisha88@gmail.com.
kirti Gill said…
Hi Guys,

I just received an email.
I was wondering how the professionalism, terms of business etc..have been researched.Besides the english dont give a big story...
the language is weard but polite.

Anyways: please contact cyber crime if someone can go to this office in Mumbai.
Location:
Cyber Crime Investigation Cell is located at :

Cyber Crime Investigation cell,
Annex III, 1st floor, Office of the Commissioner of Police,
D.N.Road,
Mumbai - 400001

Email: cybercell.mumbai@mahapolice.gov.in

Tel: +91 - 022 - 24691233

http://cybercellmumbai.gov.in/html/contact-us/index.html
kirti Gill said…
Hi guys: I got a mails and its sure short a scam..
Look at the story line created ....

Please contact or visit if close by to the cyber crime office.

Location:
Cyber Crime Investigation Cell is located at :

Cyber Crime Investigation cell,
Annex III, 1st floor, Office of the Commissioner of Police,
D.N.Road,
Mumbai - 400001

Email: cybercell.mumbai@mahapolice.gov.in

Tel: +91 - 022 - 24691233
Unknown said…
I got the same email today. Thanks for the blog that I can be more sure that this kind of persons are fake.
Unknown said…
I got d mail today n i askd why u chosen me he didnt answerd..
Rahul Garg said…
I also got same mail on 9th May'14.
Now I'm sure this is fake.
and thanks to this blog for this information.
Rahul Garg said…
I also got the same mail on 9th May'14.

After reading this blog now I'm sure this is total fake.

Thanks for sharing this blog.
Philip Benis said…
Peace to all of you. I too got the similar email from the same Robert Adair.Through this Blogger I got of lots of information. Thanks to you all for sharing and creating awareness.
Philip Benis
Pondicherry

Unknown said…
Guys need a help...if you get a mail.. Keep the conversation happening .. This might help in catching these assoles
Mannava Spandan said…
I almost got same mail from Robert Adair and I tracked back the mail he sent to some college in mumbai.when I googled the site of the college google says that site may have been hacked.
news said…
I got the same mail today with the different name and contact details, though the phone number is same.

They are using following ID

Daniell Bromley
+448719746257
da-bromley@outlook.com
Unknown said…
i too got it today,Daniel Bromley it seems .

Popular posts from this blog

THE CURIOUS CASE OF RAHUL GANDHI - Nitin Gupta(Rivaldo)

To each his own